The Australian Health Care Reform Alliance (AHCRA) is a coalition of peak health groups working towards a better health system for Australia’s future.
Australia’s health system has developed over several generations and no longer meets the needs of our urban and rural communities. Many Australians are missing out on the care they need or not receiving the best possible care for their condition. There is a growing gap in health and the provision of care which is undermining the fairness of our society.
Australia needs to make major changes to its healthcare system to make it better and fairer for all. With an ageing population and increasing demand for appropriate care, we need to ensure that every dollar we spend on health care delivers maximum value. We also need to make sure that our health system reflects the values of our community.
AHCRA is working to find solutions to optimise our health system, and to overcome identified deficiencies including:
- poor access to care for many Australians especially rural and remote populations
- consumer frustration and difficulties in navigating an overly complex system
- the health gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australiansincreasing out-of-pocket costs for services
- poor distribution and some shortages in doctors, nurses and other health professionals
- unfulfilled demands for better mental and dental care
- an insufficient focus on prevention and primary care
- inefficiencies caused by the current State/ Commonwealth funding structure.
The Federal Government continues to modify health care policies that threaten universal health care including making significant changes to the ways in which health care is funded and delivered. While many of these changes recognise existing problems, they are being made in the absence of a coherent national policy commitment. AHCRA believes significant gaps and system flaws remain that have not been adequately addressed. AHCRA continues to advocate for these issues to be confronted and to influence the effective implementation of equitable measures that deliver a healthy nation.